Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving/Pregame

Wake it up, yells us the voice:

William Schuman: "When Jesus Wept" from New England Triptych (1956) for orchestra
Virgil Thomson: Variations on a Southern Hymn, mvt. II of Cello Concerto (1950)
Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata no. 5 in D major for Cello and Piano, op. 102, no. 2 (1815)
Franz Schubert: Quartettsatz in C minor, D. 703 (1820)
Rebecca Clarke: Lullaby (1909) for viola and piano
Charles Ives: Thanksgiving and Forefathers Day from "Holidays" Symphony (1897, 1910, ??) for orchestra and chorus
Franz Liszt: Andante Lagrimoso (1853) for piano
J. S. Bach: Cantata BWV 140, "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" (1731)

I'm really happy with this playlist, but my mic breaks weren't very good at all. Bleh. Too cold to not be cranky, too tired to write out prepared scripts ahead of time.

That Thomson movement is one of the most haunting things I've heard on CD in the last few years.

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

All right w00t it up for Classical MUSIC! Evrbody knows Bach's great but I think it'll be tough to beat EARLY- TO MID-20TH CENTURY AMERICAN ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

My TV doesn't get radio but I'm in front of it anyway with some Chunky Ranch Crunchitos and a fat sixer of Pasbt Brown Ribbon. I like to buy foods and alcohol! Oh I forgot, I picked up a travel pack of Mama Fresh's Donut Poppers on the way home too. I DON'T KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH CORN SYRUP, ALL THIS STUFF TASTES AWESOME TO ME

To read more links to my blog http://ofmildinterest.blogspot.com/2008/09/brett-favre.html

...I actually cannot find the game on the radio so I'm here with the ESPN Internet gamecast and the Post-Gazette's slower but more informative live blog. Didn't seem like I was missing much in the first quarter but sounds like the team's waking up as the snow starts to fall.

11/20/2008 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home