Sunday, September 24, 2006

Best Sunset All Year

One of the best parts of having a third-story deck is that you get a great vantage point on sunsets. Today it was overcast and gray the entire day, and then around 6 pm whatever front we were experiencing finally passed over: and here you had a band of huge cumulous clouds, big old Hudson River School numbers, pushing east over the city while the sun was going down. The clouds brought with them a soft, heavy rain that only lingered a few minutes.

So for a brief bit I stood out on the deck, getting drenched by big raindrops, watching the sunlight go golden and light up the west side of the clouds in orange, while the bronze-tinged green treetops were cast in further orange glow. Meanwhile the sky to the west was deep and clear beautiful blue; the overcast part of the sky to the east was all soggy gray with a thin, long-arching curve of rainbow applied to it. For a little while you could watch individual raindrops falling, illuminated, from way up high. The rain was incredibly refreshing at the perfect temperature; getting showered was like swimming in a lake. It was a remarkable fusion of sunset and rain shower.

I was wearing a pair of jeans and no shirt; the feeling of privacy afforded by a third-story deck is also excellent. My roommate Dave, through the glass deck doors, pretended not to pay attention to me, which I'll interpret as a friendly gesture. He was inside on the couch, watching the fourth quarter of a football game the Giants were losing by more than thirty points.

Later in the sunset the rain stopped, and the receding edge of the clouds flamed up in pink and orange. The further-off clouds were billowy and white, and then gray. And now it's dark blue out, and I'm inside, and I've got a single distant lightpoint, either a planet or a very slow-moving airplane, through my window. I guess I didn't get around to putting the curtains up, but that feels okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home