Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Batting 4th

A couple of things I forget to get to, in the past span of limited-internet usage in my little ol' life here:

1) PRINCE WON THE SUPER BOWL. His performance was the first Super Bowl halftime performance that I can recall being, like, really, not bad, musically, like, ever. He rips on the guitar. Easily more exciting than any of the game that was played.

2) CURTIS WHITE'S NEW BOOK IS A BIG LET-DOWN. The Spirit of Disobedience, which in theory is a call for a return to Thoreau by Americans, so that we can, like, be better people 'n' shit, turns out to be a pastiche of Curtis White-esqu writings that lack any of the structure that make his fiction (Anarcho-Hindu aside) and nonfiction generally worth reading, if not applicable to real life in anyway. The worst part is a "close reading" of the movie Office Space which I really doubt is gonna help sell copies of the book, if it was in fact, as it is, according to White, his close readings of Fresh Air and Saving Private Ryan that made his last polemical book, The Middle Mind "popular" (it wasn't popular).

3) I ALWAYS CLAIM TO LIKE CHARLES MINGUS, BUT I HAVEN'T REALLY HEARD THAT MUCH OF HIS MUSIC BUT I REALLY LIKE THE ALBUM MINGUS AH UM AND LISTEN TO THAT ONE ALL THE TIME. In fact, I'm listening to it right now.

4) I REALLY THOUGHT I HAD MORE UNPOSTEDABOUT TOPICS THAN JUST THE FIRST TWO IN THIS POST. Sorry 'bout that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Can you tell me what "close reading" is? I know the term, but I've never looked up what it actually involves. (My curiosity about literary criticism only extends so far.)

I completely agree with you about Prince.

3/08/2007 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home