Sunday, May 20, 2007

Further Airport Notes

* Usually when I book a round-trip itinerary through La Guardia I expect to actually touch down there at some point during the trip. The U.S. Airways shuttle today was just a mess: cancellations, delays up and down the Boston - New York - Washington corridor. Vague mentions of weather systems and mechanical problems; rumors from passengers of crews calling in sick. A harried woman behind the ticketing counter having trouble updating my flights, because either the "new computer system" has glitches or (to use a slightly precious tech industry formulation) PEBKAC. Since I got rebooked both yesterday and today onto nonstop flights, though, my net additional travel time for the weekend was approximately zero. Not that I can say that my modified, roundabout return trip (Logan -> National Airport -> Super Shuttle -> Dulles Economy Parking) was preferable to burning a couple of hours in a La Guardia terminal, reading Le Ton Beau de Marot and drinking overpriced beer.

* When I tried to show my plastic toiletries baggie to the TSA guy at the security check this afternoon I realized I left it at the Motel 6 in Braintree. Total estimated replacement cost: perhaps 6 or 7 dollars. Total estimated loss of sentimental value: minimal, though I'd been using that same broken comb since something like the seventh grade.

* Dulles bird sighting of note, Sunday edition: Pelican, gliding rather majestically at sunset over the airport access road.

* Dulles bird sighting of note, Saturday edition: Sparrow or finch, flying low and perplexedly through Concourse D.

* Various travel ridiculousnesses were so very worth it for the sprawling, sometimes messy glory of "Dreamhouse". More detailed commentary along those lines once the slight air- and carsickness subside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home