Monday, May 07, 2007

Travel Times

Jackson Heights, Queens, is about as far away from New Haven in terms of travel time as Philadelphia is from Astoria. I am completely willing to throw six hours of train time at getting to and from Jackson Heights, apparently, for the sake of about six hours of social time there. Whereas going to Philly felt like a huge chore from Astoria, and I barely did so, even though I had (and have) a nontrivial number of college friends there I don't see very often.

Some kind of irrational framing? . . . I think I might just be psychologically dependent on the idea of being able to get into the NYC area at will, even if it's not particularly convenient.

What I wanted to do (Sunday, that is) was to spend the whole day in Queens, most likely hitting up the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, which I somehow have never gotten around to seeing. Instead I somehow caught a cold on Saturday, which conspired with some softball-practice-induced muscle soreness to keep me from getting out of bed till about 11:30. So I had a half-day instead.

In Jackson Heights, my college friend & once-roommate Rae (now in grad school in LA, and engaged) was in town and having a get-together with some of her NYC friends. I hadn't seen her since something like 2004. We all made paper "quilt" patterns out of art-store paper the apartment host had accumulated over the years: an unselfconscious arts & crafts pleasantry. Good olives on hand, and strawberries. And quiche! Not a bad time.

I generally like spending time on the roof of an outer-borough apartment building.

My '07-'08 apartment search is apparently over, if all ties itself up as expected, since the guy with that two-bedroom is willing to take the walkthrough room himself. This really brings my satisficing game to the next level, since it's the only apartment I looked at. Hopefully all will be well! I may be ahead of the curve for once.

The cold seems to have basically gone away already.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Hallo! Ich habe gestern tried to post something, but it didn't work. Here is a smaller attempt. Feeling like a ghost in a shell...

5/09/2007 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home