Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Two Jokes from Matt Groening-Produced TV Shows that I Think Douglas Hofstadter Would Like

Two jokes from Matt Groening-produced TV shows that I think Douglas Hofstadter would like, just because I've watched both episodes recently and they came to mind this evening.

From The Simpsons:
Krusty the Clown (promoting an SUV): I'm tellin' ya, the Canyonero is the Cadillac of automobiles!

From Futurama:
Bender (a robot): I need a calculator.
Fry (a human): You are a calculator.
Bender: I mean a good calculator.

If I owned copies of Goedel, Escher, Bach or Metamagical Themas I would try to point to some material discussing, respectively, "X is the Y of class-of-Y" analogy-making and the implications of designing a machine that could solve mathematical problems with human-like flexibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home