Monday, July 16, 2007

Various Monday Workday Thoughts

Adapted from private email correspondence with various persons.

I. YouTubin'
It occurred to me this morning that I could search YouTube for the old "DTV" videos we used to watch as kids. Had this occurred to me when I was not on my way out the door to work I could have more thoroughly followed through on this impulse, but I still have something of a soft spot for this one, which is responsible for me always thinking of Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" as "the one where the hats fall in love". Of course the one for Tommy Roe's "Dizzy" has to remain something of a favorite, though at this point it mostly makes me ruminate on all those shorts about Goofy's misadventures in postwar middle-class life, as well as the horrifying fact that his family apparently owns a conventional dog.

II. Pirates of the Crapabbean
I paid refreshingly little attention this weekend as the Braves administered the ancient Japanese rite of ass-kicku to the Pirates. Next up is a three-game homestand against the Rockies. My prediction for the first game: Colorado manager Clint Hurdle will make the controversial decision to start Denver-area plumber Mitch Hobbeson, 56, whose prior pitching experience includes two relief appearances for Hurdle's slow-pitch softball team, and who will hold Pittsburgh to one run and five hits over seven innings with six strikeouts. The homestand will presumably go downhill from there.

III. FUN STARFISH FACTS
Did you know?...
1. All species of starfish are radially symmetrical in five or six spatial dimensions?
2. Starfish comprise three out of only seven non-mammalian orders of animals that breathe nitrogen instead of oxygen?
3. Stable populations of starfish have been found living in the snows on Himalayan mountain peaks?
4. When collected, starfish grant the bearer invincibility for up to ten seconds?
5. King Henry VIII of England died while eating starfish pie?
6. Genomic analysis shows that the familiar starfish body plan evolved as a larval stage for a "lost" anthropoid adult form, which scientists can now induce in a laboratory setting via hormonal injections?
7. Starfish have souls?

Editor's Notes
Jack told me in abovementioned private correspondence that there's nothing to gain from thinking about the stuff in I and II. I didn't ask him about III.

Also, as of now my prediction about the Pirates hasn't come to pass. Which isn't to say they're winning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home