Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Just South of Hollywood

So I've been slowly getting settled, here in North Miami Beach, and think that maybe I have enough anecdotal evidence that I exist here to get away with trying to post about it. Mostly I just wanted to post, though, to brag about my tan.

My activity thus far has been relatively limited. I mostly just kick around my apartment, but have managed every day to go out for a bike ride, which is nice. I found a State Park today that has a couple of trails and a beach, and it's only about 1.5 miles away, so that's good. The heat and humidity here, though, are rather stifling, so a 3 mile bike ride suddenly feels much longer than it might otherwise.

I'm not sure that it's ever been mentioned in blog-form before now, but every summer I become quite proud of my farmer's tan - I am outside in short sleeves from the moment its not too damn cold to do so until the last possible day when its too cold (whether that too-cold day even exists in Miami remains to be seen). And its not so much that I'm proud of the color of my skin, but that I feel that my arms, having been appropriately conditioned to summer living, are impervious, from just above the elbow on down to the fingertips, to burning.

Thus, as I prepared myself to go biking around in mid-morning, early-August Miami, I think to myself, "Sunscreen?" and then, quickly, "Naahhh."

As I type this, I'm sitting in my apartment (computer monitor and keyboard propped up on some cardboard boxes from the move, leaching internet from some neighbor out there in the building somewhere), where, since I live alone, I've taken to keeping the temperature somewhere just north of "cool," preferring to not wear a shirt than having a more costly electrical bill, I have an excellent view of my arms.

The color of my skin, on the tops of my arms, on both of my elbows, especially when in sunlight, looks purple. That deep, old-man-fuck-you-possibility-of-skin-cancer-at-the-beach purple. Oops! First mistake in my new Miami lifestyle. It is interesting to note, though, that the tops of your arms, around the elbows, get more sun then the rest of your exposed skin, when you're riding a bicycle. In the yellow incandescent light of my bathroom, the skin looks a more typical shade of brimstone orange, but still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home