Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Names I Want Now

I thought for sure I'd spotted a typo this morning in the proof of a book's dedication page (typeset by an overseas co-publisher), since the last name of the dedicatee was given "ffrench." But this was in fact correct.

The name appears to originate, according to the Internet, not in ffrance but in Ireland, where it’s attached to a late 18th-century barony. I don't know if our dedicatee is attached to that family or not. In any case, the current Baron ffrench is a fellow by the estimable name of "Robuck John Peter Charles Mario ffrench."

It should go without saying that I want to have a name like that now. Though if I were a Baron, I'd just make people refer to me as "The Baron" all the time, in the third person. ("Good day, and how is The Baron doing this morning? Excellent. Say, I believe I saw The Baron's gardener replanting my topiaries in The Baron's back yard last night.")

ff***in' A!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home