Friday, November 09, 2007

Miami Thinkin'

The finally cooled-off weather of Miami has caused the number of out-of-state license plates to suddenly jump, multiplying their numbers many times over. Many of these out-of-staters, as one might well imagine, are old people. This makes the already dangerous roads of North Miami Beach that much more dangerous. I came as close to being hit by car as I've been since living down here yesterday afternoon. I'm really hoping that the driver that turned left almost right onto me saw the screwy angry-terrified face I made at her, but there's no real hope that she did, or that she will encounter enough other bicycles on the roads here to get better at not almost hitting us.

Along with the old people, and perhaps relatedly, a large flock of large black bird-of-prey looking birds. They can be seen hovering over the wetlands across the street from me (beyond the Target). I'm not really sure what kind of birds they are, and I don't have means currently to magic a picture of them onto the internet, so identification may have to wait for the time being. The point is, there are lots of them, and they're here to pick off the elderly.

This morning, I was biking to campus for a rousing 9 AM online writing tutoring session, taking the usual slightly-longer scenic route on the bike path that loops around the small section of Biscayne Bay upon which my University campus lies. These birds roost in two trees right on the bike path - a truly formidable sight! It was actually rather startling at first, but once I remember that I'm not old and that they're not here to devour my soul, I was okay and biked on by.

Speaking of the bike path, a couple mornings a go, I was fat, awake, and motivated enough to go ahead and take a jog on this same path. The morning people on the path are a couple times more pleasant than the evening crowd, I must say. Everyone smiles, even exchanges words as they walk dogs, ride bicycles, or wheeze their way to sore legs and no loss of weight. This overwhelming pleasantness (and now that its not so damn hot everyday, things really are rather pleasant) caused me to have one of my most Miami thoughts to date: "Man, I should get a pair of rollerblades." Which is to say, I don't actually plan to ever get said roller-shoes, but it was amusing to think it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home