Wednesday, October 15, 2008

That's Some Cutting We Can Believe In, My Friends

I'm not equipped for or inclined towards actual Presidential debate analysis -- if only because based on casual poll browsing these affairs don't seem very influential, at least compared to, you know, Dow blow -- but I was watching the latest one and laughed out loud at one exclamation of John McCain's: Rebutting an earlier claim of Barack Obama's that McCain's vague spending-freeze promise is like using a hatchet when you need a scalpel, McCain said something along the lines of, "That's a hatchet, and then I'll get out a scalpel!" And here I believe doctors and woodsmen can reach out across the aisle to each other and agree that such combinations aren't likely to be useful in any case.

Anyway, in an evening largely about rhetoric that was my favorite instance of a metaphor being butchered. Or I guess butchered and then surgically incised. In terms of actual policy I'll just say that the prospect of stable, good-faith, center-left governance has never felt so welcoming before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Though I'll feel good voting for Obama in a couple weeks, I now feel vaguely guilty for moving out of Virginia before the election.

10/16/2008 11:36 AM  
Blogger nate said...

I haven't thought about that much but then Oregon has a similar dynamic to Virginia: A pretty close balance between an urban "People's Republic of _____" that votes Democratic and a mostly rural everywhere-else that votes Republican. Though here I think Multnomah County (which contains Portland) has an outright majority of Oregon's population, while NoVA's just trending that way. And Portland's got to be more liberal than the D.C. suburbs.

10/16/2008 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home