Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Despite All My Rage I Am Still Just Kind Of Lying There Despondently

I don't pay a lot of attention to newswire-type writeups of scientific research -- filtering scientific material through most journalists seems to produce about the same result as running the paper's abstract through a commercial washer and dryer -- but I want to respond briefly to the following claim in this story about salt as a "natural mood-booster":

The tests carried out by US researchers found that when rats were deficient in salt, they shy away from activities they normally enjoy, like drinking a sugary substance or pressing a bar that stimulates a pleasant sensation in their brains.

The idea of a salt-deficient laboratory rat being too depressed to push its brain-pleasure lever is itself one of the most depressing things I have ever read.

In contrast, I greatly enjoyed this quotation from the end of the article: "I personally have never felt depressed by not eating too much salt." While I think it's uncontroversial to say that it's a terrible sentence stylistically, I challenge you to actually agree or disagree with its content in less than thirty seconds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Doctors recommend that, to prevent unhappiness, your daily salt intake should be enough to liberally coat the rims of at least four margarita glasses.

3/17/2009 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home