Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumn!

I mention without connection to much else that I've been greatly enjoying the blog written by one Dr. Jeff Masters, at the weather website Weather Underground, probably the most informative website I know of that's named after a violent leftist organization. Because it's hurricane season, there are daily updates on the storms, developing storms, dissipating storms, etc. that up till now I've been generally ignorant of. Also, satellite photos of hurricanes (pictured there, left to right, are Karl, Igor, and Julia, sometime last week) are pretty great, and I even enjoy reading descriptions of meteorological conditions when they largely go over my head. And when one of these storms eventually plows into the east coast, hey, early warning.

Current weather conditions in New Haven: 68 degrees, partly cloudy.

Literal weather underground: clammy, dark.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

The literal weather underground depends on how far underground you go, you know. Haven't you ever seen The Core?

9/23/2010 8:05 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

No, but I remember its reputation for hilariously bad pseudoscience.

You know, re-reading your post about that, I'm struck how strongly I share your inability to suspend disbelief about lava. Maddie and I watched The Incredibles last weekend -- thanks to Netflix, I'm catching up on my Pixar classics! -- and there was definitely a moment where I found myself thinking, OK, this is a computer-animated superhero fighting a giant robot, but he should NOT be able to hang out that close to a pool of magma.

9/23/2010 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home