Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sights of the Sound

Last night there was a fireworks show over the Long Island Sound, not very far from where I live. I didn't know about this until I was getting ready for a very early bedtime; so I watched the fireworks standing on the second floor mini-deck of the house I'm living in, leaning on the rail while wearing my bathrobe. It was a decent vantage point, and they were good fireworks: shiny, variegated, and attractively noisy. The big ones really set off an echoing BOOM.

I do enjoy fireworks. This is clearly going to be the last hurrah of my living right by the Sound, since I'm moving out of the house on Saturday.

Pete, I know that you don't like fireworks, and I was wondering what goes through your head as you're watching fireworks. Is it an anti-patriotic thing, or do you not like fireworks in and of themselves?

I was also thinking back to other fireworks shows I've seen, and the strongest association I've got is the feeling of waiting for it to get dark and for fireworks to start, which is a vivid memory back to a pretty young age.

You don't get this feeling when you don't know the fireworks are coming; but then it's a sufficiently compensating novelty to be able to watch fireworks at home when you're not fully dressed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I dunno. I don't recall the last time I actually saw fireworks - probably after a Pirates game a couple of summers ago.

6/30/2006 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home