Thursday, July 06, 2006

Arresting Developments

Last night as I took a drizzly little stroll around the grounds of my apartment complex (enough to get some fresh air, which was in fact almost unbearably muggy, but close enough to my front door to sprint there if the rain started in earnest again) I saw what looked like a taxi cab right ahead of me with a spotlight beaming through the windshield onto a first-floor apartment in one of the buildings. "Huh," I thought. "A taxi with a spotlight. Peculiar." As I started to cross the parking lot to the opposite sidewalk (SOP for dealing with peculiarities on the grounds of the apartment complex) a megaphoned voice from the taxi announced, presumably to the target of the spotlight, "You're under arrest! Where's your green card?"

This afternoon when I pulled into the lot in front of my building there were two police cruisers parked there, with a man about my age (apparently a resident or guest of one of the apartments in the building immediately next to mine) getting cuffed in a fairly relaxed way by a female officer.

I figure it's probabalistically reasonable that the number of arrests I've witnessed within 100 yards of my home in the past 24 hours equals the number of such arrests I've witnessed since moving in. Still, there's a sort of childishly paranoid part of my brain that wonders whether tomorrow night they'll come for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

So was that really a taxi with the spotlight in it? If INS is springing for cab fare all the time I'm going to lose that much more faith in good government.

7/07/2006 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home