Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Abbr.

Some of my recent work has dealt with software internationalization, which is typically abbreviated to i18n, where 18 indicates the number of letters omitted. I find this quietly witty, which I like because I like the gently humanizing effect wit has on technical jargon. Why I find it witty I'm not sure; I think because it somehow challenges the reader, as in "Yeah, look at how many letters it would take to actually spell out this whole stupid word for you." I like that it justifies its own existence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

"Wait, that's supposed to mean internationalization? I've been reading it as in vitro fertilization this whole time. Someone better tell the client that Phase III is going to involve more saving for college than we initially estimated."

2/21/2007 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home