Monday, February 19, 2007

Happy Presidents' Day Sale Weekend (Observed)

Hooray, Monday off work. Standard operating procedure for me on such a day is to walk to the nearest diner for an eggs benedict and a coffee (actually I was thinking hot chocolate originally, but was too embarrassed to admit this to the waitress & ordered coffee instead), one of the few routines from Astoria life that ports successfully to New Haven.

Of course, my snap diagnosis of the weather from the bedroom window (sunny, cold) doesn't quite capture the actual weather conditions (punishingly cold, blustery) so that 25-minute shlep to the diner gets to be less fun than anticipated. Standard operating procedure will let you down now and again. Gaahhhhhh, goes my poor freezing center of narrative gravity as I wait for some crosswalk light to change, getting pummeled by icy wind in the meantime, You're running a poor SOP, you poor SOB.

The diner is showing some damn children's show on its TVs, despite the fact that the table full of kids was leaving as I came in & everyone left is an adult. My discman has enough batteries left to drown this out with Hindemith for about 20 minutes, enough time to read another dozen pages of Independence Day, though I'm slightly distracted by the process of eating the eggs benedict & also by the Hindemith, which comes off as pretty ornery when you play it loud enough to drown out children's TV.

The city's green looks empty and wind-blasted in the snow, which has all frozen over icily by now. The original elms on the green all died off decades ago due to disease; it occurs to me occasionally that if I'd seen the green in its glory days (aside from in b&w photos) it'd really feel like something had been lost, looking at it now. Though the effect isn't as strong in the winter, when no leaves are to be had.

A stop in the drugstore for some much-needed personal effects (notably shaving cream, the sputtery remnants oozing out of my current can having become untenable for actual shaving use a couple mornings back) brings a brush with the tabloid news. Britney Spears has shaved her head for some reason: "Experts Say Image in Ruins," notes the NY Post in its full-cover spread. Yeah, experts will say that. Evidently someone won the Daytona 500 as well.

Literal weather conditions: mostly sunny, cold with highs in the low 20s. Northwest winds 15–20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

The rest of today will be spent making up for the "real" weekend's blissful undertow of loungefulness by doing some cleaning and organizing, likely soundtracked with more Hindemith. If by this time tomorrow I haven't gotten the papers off my desk and the sink shiny, you can take me 'round back behind the shed & put me down quietly. It is time to get things in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home