Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Odds! The Ends!

February has so far been a wall-to-wall festival of hat hair, which starts to bog down one's self-presentation efforts after a while. I recall deciding not to try any more around last Tuesday. Maybe I'll just start wearing one of those earflap caps all day . . . Highlights from New York last weekend that I didn't mention yet: eating an onion bagel with whitefish salad in a coffee shop while reading Richard Ford; watching the Muppet Show on DVD with Andy & Lisa; sitting in on a musicology presentation Dan did up at Columbia, on Ralph Vaughan Williams and the concurrent British vogue for John Constable & pastoralism in art; perusing the Frick Collection with Dan & Mandy on Sunday before Metro Northing it back to town. Good times! . . . Speaking of bagels, a coworker tipped me off that the coffeeshop by the office imports actual bagels from Brooklyn, which I've happily been eating for breakfast ever since. So far I'd only observed a disturbing tendency for people here to classify Bruegger's as actual bagels. I still miss Astoria Bagels, which was situated on Ditmars between my first apartment and the train station; they cooked their own bagels right there. Full, hearty, crusty: now those were bagels! . . . I guess there's not much to say about the Super Bowl (Lost Puppy Found on Field — Answers to Rex) but I thought Prince really put on a fine halftime show, which actually came across like a concert this year. When it started I joked to the folks I was watching it with that Prince would be more entertaining with a marching band, and then the marching band came out so it was all like, Yeah, I totally called that! Sweeet.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

At some point you're going to have to admit that living in Queens has permanently ruined you for bagels you're going to get elsewhere. I'm most of the way through that Barry Schwartz book you lent me about how a vast array of choices in life make you less happy, so I'm content to put up with some alleged, frozen/defrosted/toasted bagel that originated at Trader Joe's, or maybe just a bowl of Peanut Butter Puffins.

2/11/2007 11:10 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Trader Joe's is responsible for some of the worst bagels on the planet. The West Coast bagels are even worse than the East Coast ones! Ahh! There aren't, apparently particularly good bagels in Portland, but there are amazing pancakes and burritos, so at least there's some trade-off. I don't think I ever had a really good burrito in Boston.

2/12/2007 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home