Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Real Men Don't Use the Word "And"

Sick day today, or at least sick enough to avoid walking to work in the cold. Come on, white blood cells, get crackin' with all that energy I'm trying to conserve.

Anyway, here's an internet toy that's supposed to determine the gender of the author of a chunk of text, apparently by analyzing the frequency of various pronouns & function words. Of course I wanted to see how the three of us lined up, so I plugged in each of our most recent posts (except I used Nate's sympho-wonk one, since the lava one was largely a block quote). The results:

Pete: Female Score 257, Male Score 406
Nate: Female Score 335, Male Score 505
Jack: Female Score 568, Male Score 573

D'oh. I gotta lay off the word "with." Maybe punch up my language with by use of some more male signifiers in general.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at work and not slothing away my day with at this sort of thing. (Other highlights: listening to the Salonen Piano Concerto yet again; lemon herbal tea; extremely bleary noon-to-three nap.)

HUGE FIREBALL AWESOME MONSTER TRUCK ACCIDENTS

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I took a chunk of text from a response at the beginning of this month & got just barely male, 399 to 363.

2/22/2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. Mine's still a closer call.

2/22/2007 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home