Friday, April 13, 2007

Lost the Lower Half of My Left Sleeve


So, going back to 2003 now, I've made the habit of wearing a combination of a flannel shirt and a hooded sweatshirt as general coat/overshirt (with either a waterproof windbreaker or leather jacket as optional top layer, for the wet and/or cold months of the year). This has always involved one or two hoodies, but only one flannel each year. Generally, the wear-and-tear of such clothing decisions give cause for the flannel to be discarded at the end of the cold season (with the exception of the inaugural flannel, which also became a crucial aspect of the costume for my now-legendary (although still enigmatic and very rarely appearing (I've never met him)) alter-ego Hank 300). The second flannel was dark blue and green, this years flannel was a grey plaid. This year's flannel, however, was not up to challenge. I knew there was gonna be trouble when the light-grey of the collar and cuffs began to show the slowly accumulating crud of an over-worn shirt (but I do wash the thing, bi-weekly (give or take a week)). But last week, a small hole appeared in the elbow (didn't appear so much as show up, since I don't often remove the flannel from the hoodie, so don't really get a good look at much of the shirt besides the aforementioned cruddy collar and cuffs). The hole, as most holes do, slowly grew, and today finally reaching catastrophic size, and as I put my coat on to head home from work (well, not home, but to the library...) I felt the need to fiddle with the left sleeve, as it felt uncomfortable, and in that fiddling process managed to completely remove the bottom half of the sleeve from the rest of the shirt. Too bad, really, since it's starting to be consistently warm enough in Portland that I was gonna retire the shirt soon anyway, but instead it will be retired with the indignity of having only 1.33 arms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I know as absolute fact that this isn't the most important news you have this week.

Anyway, I won't second-guess your wardrobe decisions. Replacing the flannel sounds like it makes more sense than trying to patch it together with something else. I don't remember the entire plot of that one children's book we used to have, but I think that was the general moral of the story.

Hank 300 is a full-fledged alter ego? Scary.

4/14/2007 7:51 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

Hank 300 has always-already been a full-fledged alter ego. Going back to his very first appearance in the Dirty Weekend library, some time in the Fall of the year 2000. Truly a 2000 Man.

4/17/2007 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home