Monday, April 30, 2007

Miscellany

As I type this, I'm listening to the ninth inning of the Pirates/Cubs game. Salomon Torres has one out and no one on; Bucs up 3 to 2. Let's see if they hang on to this.

Miscellany:

Kyle Gann discovers Comics Curmudgeon, in an unexpected convergence of blogs I read all the time.

(Fly out to Duffy, two outs.)

The Guardian's Slava obit coverage links to this lovely Haydn performance on YouTube, the slow movement from the concerto in C. That's a good high art use for YouTube.

(2-out walk ahead of Derrek Lee. Uh oh.)

The Colorado Rockies' shortstop turned an unassisted triple play over the weekend, which reminds me of the one we saw Mickey Morandini turn against the Pirates in Three Rivers. Almost certainly the most unusual thing any of us will ever see at a ballgame: only 13 of these have ever been made in major league history.

(All righty, a running catch by Duffy & Greg Brown's going all Jolly Roger again. Hey, they're at .500 for April! Only, what, five months and change to keep this up. Aaaand that Cumberland radio station is advertising the National Day of Prayer again. Off it goes.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I can do you one better by actually having been at this game. It was a good one - Duke was throwing batting practice at first, but the Cubs failed to capitalize and otherwise it was a crisp game - very fast, good, low-scoring National league baseball. And PNC Park beats the hell out of the AAA stadium in Portland.

4/30/2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger nate said...

I of course wasn't there but I was sitting in front of my laptop for most of the game (I went running for about innings 2 through 5), yelling periodically at the Internet radio, being weirded out by the National Day of Prayer commercials.

The basic premise of the National Day of Prayer ad is: God has shed his grace on our country. Will He continue to do so? Nobody knows, but He does promise to hear the prayers of those who pray... I usually think of this as the Yule Fire Argument.

The Mickey Morandini triple play game, was I recall, the first game in a long time that Dad didn't bring the scorebook along for. That play (number 9 in history, as the link says) assured that none of us really kept score at a baseball game again.

5/01/2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Oh, I definitely kept using a scorebook at baseball games, occasionally, at least occasionally. The last one was a Brooklyn Cyclones game in '04. (I can't have kept that program for more than a week.)

I think it's funny to have a skill even less useful than knowing how to keep score at bowling.

5/02/2007 8:44 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Occasionally, definitely occasionally. (I shouldn't try to eat and obsessively revise blog comments at the same time.)

5/02/2007 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home