Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Frost Doggerel

One of the minor benefits of hoarding a bunch of old computer content is that when you comb through it you occasionally find a preserved crumb of interest. Here, from a March 2002 email, is a Robert Frost parody that Jack wrote. It seems to hold up; at any rate it still rigorously respects the rhyme scheme of the original.

***************

"Homage"
by Jack B.

Whose car this is I do not know.
He's left a window open, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To take away his stereo.

My crowbar grates metallic, clear;
But on this street no soul is near.
Its iron gleam will catch no eye,
Its grinding will offend no ear.

The radio, with one last pry
Quiesces, like a plaintive sigh;
And now I'd best be moving on.
(I'll take a road less traveled by.)

I'd stay, through evening, night and dawn,
But I have merchandise to pawn,
And much to steal till day is gone,
And much to steal till day is gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home