Friday, October 12, 2007

Prizes and Stuff

I thought the Al Gore movie was good, but I don't know about Nobel Peace Prize good. The science-y stuff was OK, but it really lacked the kind of star wattage that the Nobel Peace Prize committee should respect.

I mean, really. Is it like they didn't even see Babel? That's totally a Nobel Peace Prize movie right there. Not only is it about the whole world and stuff, but it's got Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in it. Did Al Gore bring that much passion to the screen, and look so good doing it? I don't think so.

Plus, there's lots of important, Nobel-Peace-Prize-worthy themes in Babel. Did you ever stop to wonder whether everyone everywhere is interconnected, even to fabulous celebrities like Brad and Cate? Probably not, but Babel answers it for you: Yes! There's also other stuff: like how other languages are impossible to understand, and how sad it is when there's guns, and that you shouldn't let your kids be taken care of by Mexicans. It's really deep!

You know all those scenes that are really long, and no one's talking, and there's some sensitive guitar music playing softly? That really makes it feel like you're thinking. And you can tell the characters are thinking too, like Brad, and like that one Japanese schoolgirl who keeps getting naked 'cause she's thinking about stuff.

I really felt like I was thinking the whole way through this movie, and that's like for 3 hours. I think that really says something.

And let's admit it: Al Gore's movie is smart, but it's kind of a downer, too. At the end of Babel you know everyone came out OK, or at least the pretty-looking American people did. Come on, Nobel Prize committee: is Peace about being gloom and doom all the time, or is Peace about everything turning out all right in the end? Right, that's what I thought.

It's especially tragic that the Nobel Peace Prize committee didn't make the right decision, since just a couple years ago they already passed over Cate Blanchett! I couldn't believe it when she missed the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize, after her unforgettable turn as Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator. Now I'm not saying anything mean about Mohamed ElBaradei and the International Atomic Energy Agency, especially since I haven't seen any of their movies yet, but Cate totally should have won after a gutsy performance like that! And can you even imagine the amazing Nobel Peace Prize party she'd probably have afterwards to celebrate? Wow.

So Al Gore has my congratulations, but now you know where I stand. I just hope the Nobel Peace Prize people don't think Global Warming is all taken care of now. There's a whole lot more work to do if we want to see Leo win the prize next year for his Global Warming movie! Good luck Leo!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

And meanwhile, everyone should watch Babel on DVD!! I'm totally not kidding!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Thank you Jack, for finally being openly cynical on the blog.

10/13/2007 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home