Saturday, December 01, 2007

Gnats that Bite

Here in beautiful-weathered Miami, despite December having waddled in like a fat tourist in a Hawaiian shirt, my only encounters with the climate phenomenon commonly known as "winter" occur when I remove myself from my apartment to the more focused-work inducing environs of the library on Florida International University's Biscayne Bay Campus. Although the nearly cloudless sky and warm-verging-on-hot temperatures of the outdoors call for dressing in shorts, a t-shirt, and no socks (boat shoes!), it really isn't hot (like August & September were hot). Somehow, unfortunately, the library has failed to note this and continues to cool itself to some ungodly low temperature.

I can safely say that I would have never put on socks today if I hadn't been headed to the library for the bulk of the day (between online tutoring and the large amount of end-of-semester work I need to accomplish (despite this being a Saturday (a weekend day (a not-work day))) I require library). Despite my socks, and having also brought a long-sleeve shirt along, after my first three hours indoors at the library I was cold to the point where I claim here that my bones themselves were cold. This perhaps foreshadows little more than a future of arthritis and pain for me (hopefully Armageddon will arrive before I become too enpained), but it has also driven me back outside.

It's warmer out here, although, it being almost winter, the sun is on its way out of the sky. Unfortunately, there are bugs out here. Little tiny bugs. And they bite. I'm actually going to go back into the library as soon as I finish this post, because these bites actually sting. Stupid Florida.

Luckily, my winter break looms less than two weeks away now, and I'll be heading back into the Northeast corridor. Too cold for any biting bugs up there. There of course won't be any options for laptopping outdoors in the icy winds of New York, Boston, D.C. or Pittsburgh, but I think losing a layer or two of my face to that same wind will be a welcome change of pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home