Friday, March 14, 2008

TGIΠ

I feel geekily compelled to point out that today is Pi Day, this being 3/14 and 3.14 being the commonly used decimal approximation of pi. I suppose one could also use the common fractional approximation, 22/7. So depending on your locale that could either mean July 22nd or require you to pad out the Gregorian calendar with fake months until you get up to twenty-two of them, and then celebrate on the 7th of Imaginuary or whatever you call it. I'm not sure how Pi Day would be acknowledged within other calendar systems but I'd rather not work it out.

As an aside about other calendar systems I'm reminded of how our Little League baseball tryouts used to be scheduled according to Julian birthday (kids with odd Julian birthdays went one day, and even numbers the next). In a better world that would have been when I learned how the Julian calendar works. As it is that's just when I learned that I have no idea what a Julian birthday is. But then I was pretty bad at Little League stuff generally.

Back at the alma mater one tended to notice Pi Day because a number of students -- presumably not the arts and humanitites one -- would write the decimal approximation of the number out to some great precision in chalk in a long, snaking pattern across the campus' sidewalks.

One of the only other things I think of when I think of pi is that (EARLY 1990S COMPUTER GAME SPOILER ALERT) pi turned out to be the villain in 3 in Three.

Anyway, I wish you infinitely many happy, nonrepeating returns of the day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did you know that Pi Day is also Uncle Jim's birthday(one of you called him Uncle Dim to my great and easy amusement)? Born in 1959, so this is his last perfect square year in some time.

3/14/2008 6:13 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Thanks to you, Nate, I've now spent the bulk of my day playing Fool's Errand.

3/14/2008 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home