Sunday, March 30, 2008

Western Style Weekend

My weekend started off at about 4 pm Friday in some intense traffic (not unlike a 2,000 sq. mile parking lot) caused by a consistent heavy rain. It wasn't until after it stopped raining did I find out this rain was artificially produced by the government. I had to pee for an hour and a half in that stupid car. Thanks for that, government. Anyway, our (me, host mom, host mom's horse-head fiddle teacher) destination was the Gala Concert for the Celebration of the Founding of Association of Spouses of Diplomats at the Chateau Glory Summit Club. From the get-go, about 80% of the words are too formal for me as a mere exchange student, but in any case, there I was at this function incredibly under-dressed and out of place. My host mom's used her guanxi to get her teacher this gig. The other performances included an Italian Pianists specifically flown in from Belgium, China's number one countertenor opera singer, and the first Chinese person (trumpet player) to receive a full scholarship from the British government at some fancy pants conservatory in London. It was a fairly exclusive concert (partly because half the people were late from traffic, and partly because there are only so many diplomats in Beijing) that only lasted about half an hour. Then we ate a nine course meal that included lobster tail, duck, beef tenderloin etc. By "we" at this point I mean me, the Italian pianist, and a Dutch classical music producer who seemed to be the Italian guy's agent or something. My host mom was sitting at the opposite side of the table with, which I only found out today, four very famous people that are regularly seen on TV. I also talked extensively with the president of some television station. I really should have worn a suit. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the piano was purchased for a cool US$950,000. The pianist told me he felt bad playing on the it because he could see the gold wearing off of the keyboard. He thought it belonged in a museum. Anyway, all in all it was a fun night. The traffic at 11 was still awful. Good thing I went to bathroom before we left!

On Saturday morning my host mom and I went on our weekly trip to Grandma's Kitchen, a quaint little American home-style cooking restaurant. I had a delicious Mexican omelet. Then I went to a huge arcade with some friends and proceeded to get my butt kicked by really weird Asian video games. I returned home for some pot-stickers and then listened to the horse-head fiddler play some tunes in the living room for a long two hours. He eventually left and we went to a chill jazz club for about two hours. It wasn't the best jazz ever, but it was good enough.

I slept in this morning until about 10, and then talked to some CMU friends on Skype for a while before going to TGI Friday's with host mom. I had a nice American style steak and a Sprite. Delicious. We had a quick rest back at home before leaving for the Temple of Heaven. We spent about an hour and half there strolling about before going to Pete's Tex-Mex Grill where I had some nachos and enchiladas. Again, quite tasty. Host mom commented that I can eat a lot more Western food than I can Chinese food, which I suppose is correct; I've never really noticed. She also said I smile a lot and I'm excited about everything, which is good cause I think that makes her happier to take me places. On the way home we stopped at a western food grocery store so I could pick up my bi-weekly supply of Doritos, Gold Fish, and Planter's peanuts.

Back home now, about to learn tomorrow's 90 new words and study for one of my four mid-terms this week. It was a super good weekend. Stay tuned for next weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Yeah I wouldn't have guessed that you ate that much Western food on a regular basis.

3/30/2008 6:34 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Here is a video of the fiddle player, although he's only throat singing in this video, not playing video. If you watch until the end you'll see me giving an inarticulate interview!

http://www.cebtv.com/offer/Businessman.aspx

Second column second one down.

3/31/2008 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it's the first one down; the image looks like the artist is playing an oval banjo. And Mike is speaking in English.

3/31/2008 9:46 AM  
Blogger nate said...

When I was in Vienna for my semester abroad (of course a considerably more Western style experience, Wien being in the West and all) one of the subtle things that got to me after about four or five months was that I hadn't had any Mexican food since arriving.

There was a pretty good Chinese restaurant that friends & I would go to every couple of weeks (it was close to the Konzerthaus, or the Naschmarkt, or something -- my tenuous sense of place within that city has long since decayed) though the cuisine was what I would call Americanized...

4/02/2008 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home