Sunday, September 07, 2008

Are You Ready For Some Pancakes Football?

Today is a day of almost Biblical auspiciousness in my annual Pittsburgh-sports-team-following cycle: The long slog through the desert of following the Pirates gives way to the promised but still frequently difficult land of following the Steelers.

They play the Houston Texans* starting at 1 PM Eastern time. However, in a change that I've been looking forward to, I'm in the Pacific time zone where the game starts at 10 AM local time. So: Football breakfast!

A downside is that I'm no longer within broadcasting range of an AFC North market like Baltimore, so fewer of the Steelers' non-primetime games will be viewable through my bare-bones cable package. (Today, for instance, the Regional Action being served up by the local CBS affiliate is Jets/Dolphins, whose play-by-play I suspect will just be a repeated "Brett Favre Brett Favre Brett Favre".) So, at least for today, football breakfast cannot take on its comfortable at-home form, which I assume would be eating leftover muhammara** from a potluck yesterday out of a Pyrex bowl while sitting on my couch in my pajamas. But Kyle and I will try out the sports bar closest to my couch, four or five blocks away; she plans to invite her sister so they can converse like humans while I, in all probability, will just be muttering to myself while watching the game on a soundless secondary screen. Good times, especially if they have mimosas.

* I kind of hope the NFL will relocate that franchise to L.A. someday, but make it keep the same name.

** The girlfriend and I like this recipe a lot; the pomegranate syrup is critical. Also we like to blender-ize ("blend"?) it to a slightly grainy puree.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Week One Here we go JETS! I am so psyched for today! My boyfriend and I got a 12 pack of Bud Light Lime and have Pizza Hut coming in less than an hour!!!

-Natalie Marshall
http://www.eSellOut.com/Sports.aspx

9/07/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm no Brett Favre, but today's my day too...

9/07/2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

If you LUV Brett Favre then I LUV you to links to my blog!! I'm to purchase lots of BRAND NAME SNACK FOOD merchandise and watch the FOOTBALLS!! You should links to my blog
http://www.usedfarmequipment.net/photoads/viewads.html

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the Steelers game because I was coming back from a New Hampshire camping trip. (The "unfortunately" only applies to the first half of that sentence.) I am envious of your football breakfast though.

Muhammara? What kinda Obama-votin' no-flag-pin-wearin' brunch item is that?

9/07/2008 5:45 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I had a weird, similar experience this morning. This is my first football season on the west coast too. It was somewhat unsettling to get up early on a Sunday morning and trek out to a bar, and then start drinking while watching football at 10am.

I think I might be able to get used to it though. :)

9/08/2008 12:57 AM  
Blogger nate said...

Yeah, looking around the bar there were enough people who obviously got used to the idea of drinking through the early game a while ago. I opted for a greyhound with my pancakes and sausage (it came out less like a breakfast-appropriate cocktail, though, and more like a splash of grapefruit juice on top of a tumbler of vodka) and the obligatory draft microbrew once it seemed close enough to noon; I don't think I could handle a round of Miller Lite at 9:30 AM like the next table over.

9/08/2008 10:17 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

I, as well, missed the game, but unlike last year, went ahead and bothered to watch the Dolphins game (mostly because this is my first year with a TV-to-call-my-own (I think I've mentioned in the past that if you move to Miami, multiple people will offer to just give you a TV - I held out until the end of April) and when I stuck the cable from the wall into the back of the TV, the only channel I got is CBS (which is plenty, if you ask me))) since 2005), and it was terrible.

I think we should make Used Farm Equipment.net our official sponsor.

9/08/2008 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home