Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bravo Phillies

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Phillies, who just won the World Series. I don't have a lot of love lost for them based on their onetime status as a Pirates rival (back when the Pirates were in the N.L. East and could accurately be described as "rivaling" anyone) but it's nice to see a National League team win it all again. In celebration, here is a clip of Phillies veteran off-the-bench guy -- and onetime Pirate -- Matt Stairs describing a heroic home run back in the league championship series, in an exchange unbelievably deemed by Pete to be too lowbrow to blog:



(Kyle, incidentally, found the above uncomfortably cringe-inducing, further demonstrating that I will never sell her on watching the British version of The Office with me.)

Thanks to the temporal spoils of West Coast life I saw a good two-thirds of the decisive game, starting yesterday after work when the field conditions were beginning to look like The Last Boy Scout (less the body count) and resuming post-suspension this evening as I cobbled together something like dinner for myself. This early Prime Time should also make it much easier to endure election night, when I'll have a more pronounced rooting interest.

Also note that in his immediately-postgame interview, closer Brad Lidge specifically thanked both Jesus Christ and the Philadelphia fans, which I believe runs the full moral gamut from good to evil.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I tried watching some of this over the weekend, but it got rained out. Then I lost track of when they were even playing, and the Series ended tonight while I was out. So I found all this to be even more anticlimactic than usual.

Who can even imagine what Matt Stairs is up to after a victory like this.

10/29/2008 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home