Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Brief Word On Theofootballology

It should be assumed this week and next that I and, I think, at least some of my brothers are compulsively consuming any Internet content related to the Steelers' upcoming Super Bowl against the Arizona Cardinals. Happily most of our immediate comments on this stuff are being vented into email correspondence, sparing this humble blog a lot of entries like "Wow I sure hope Hines Ward un-sprains his knee in time for the Big Game go Steelers wooooo."

But I'd like to comment that of the material I've browsed, I find nothing so oddly mesmerizing as this video clip of Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner drawing God. (Via Jesse Taylor at Pandagon.)

Attentive followers of the Steelers will recall that Ben Roethlisberger Plays For Jesus too, as he noted by writing "PFJ" on his cleats before the NFL told him not to. So now the question becomes, as suggested by the perhaps slightly batty commentator linked above, who will God favor come Super Sunday -- and which football team, to borrow former Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt's phrasing, will the Lord forget about?

I leave this question open to no doubt vigorous theological debate. But I submit that both teams should have a backup plan for the possibility that the ancient Greeks had it right all along -- for if so, mighty Zeus will not look kindly upon their lack of favor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

A semi-related fact, which I learned while reading A Few Seconds of Panic by NPR regular Stefan Fatsis: Jason Elam, star kicker of the Falcons and formerly of the Broncos, has been writing a series of Christian football action novels (ahem, the Riley Covington Thriller Series), the first two of which are called Monday Night Jihad, and Blown Coverage.

link: http://www.amazon.com/Monday-Night-Jihad-Covington-Thriller/dp/141431731X

1/22/2009 3:51 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I love the aesthetic self-correction that Warner exhibits... "Oh wait, I guess this looks more like Jesus than God."

1/22/2009 5:02 PM  
Blogger nate said...

Wow. I know it's only January but "debut suspense novel from a 14-year NFL place kicker and his Colorado pastor" -- from the Publishers Weekly review on Monday Night Jihad -- is officially the best noun phrase I have read all year.

1/22/2009 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home