Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Steelerball in January

So then, how did you all enjoy the Steelers/Chargers last weekend? Beyond the obvious good signs about Willie Parker (not pictured) running full-steam again, I'm just glad that the commanding win will keep me from spending all week nervously fretting. I suspect there will still be some time for that before Sunday evening; nonetheless, before the emotional imbalance and hand-wringing set in I'd like to call it Steelers 16, Ravens 13.

Even if it's hard to see Parker getting even half as much yardage, with the advantage of home turf and health you've got to like the Steelers' chances, of course while saying that if either team makes so much as one big mistake at the wrong time then that will be that. Steelers are taking on the Sports Illustrated cover curse pretty much head-on at this point, too: and the new one is lovely to look at but that question has been answered before. Woodley & crew had better step it up and defend last month's cover, though, lest it be remembered merely as a token of irony.

I had last Sunday, and will have this Sunday, a few people over at my apartment for the festivities. My own costly mental error involved putting off the beer run until the package stores had closed Saturday night (before 9:30?! I never tested this before, but I just assumed they'd be open till a rational hour) and, dontcha know, Connecticut might let you get gay married but you still can't purchase alcohol on the Christian God's holy day. So I made mulled spiced cider, which was pretty good. And dip! The secret ingredient is not a secret, and it's cream cheese.

Our high school friend Doug drove down from Rhode Island for the game, and he seems to be doing well, by the way. Haven't seen him for I think a full decade previously. Go Facebook go.

I rather like this Ryan Clark quote about the Ravens:
They're a punch-in-your-mouth type of group, and we are a not-going-to-let-you-punch-us-in-the-mouth type of group.
That would logically imply some degree of conflict, yes. Speaking of Clark, how about an illuminating breakdown of last Sunday's failed fake punt.

Pictured above: Santonio Holmes gets high while driving toward the end zone. via Post-Gazette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home