Thursday, April 30, 2009

6 x Radio

The playlist clearing out my head tonight:
Christopher Rouse: Bump (1984) for orchestra
Silvestre Revueltas: Ocho por Radio (1933) for chamber ensemble
Henry Brant: Ghosts and Gargoyles (2001) for flute choir
Sergei Prokofiev: Violin Concerto no. 1 (1917)
Erkki-Sven Tüür: Action-Passion-Illusion (1993) for string orchestra
Rouse: Symphony no. 2 (1994)
I know I've mentioned this in passing before, but Rouse's Second Symphony is a legit modern masterpiece.

It's occurring to me, halfway through the show as I type this, that these pieces are unified in all being somewhwat more abrasive than I tend to remember them in my mind's ear. So I mean that thing about the playlist clearing out my head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

But is it enough to balance out all the legitimate suckterpiece's also inflicted upon contemporary music by Rouse?

5/04/2009 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home