Friday, August 28, 2009

I'm English, I'm Suddenly English!

Here's a brief little West Side Story followup: as of last week the Spanish-language "A Boy Like That" has been easily assimilated back into English, along with a little bit of "I Feel Pretty." So those "One of your ow-w-wn kind, Stick to your ow-w-wn kind" lines are back in their lurching original glory.

I always found that word setting more charming than not, really, although I can't identify why. I think the movie version with Rita Moreno will back me up on that. The syncing is off in that YouTube clip; but if that's too bothersome you can always watch Moreno's excellent later work on the Muppet Show instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Good reference to a different Bernstein musical...

9/01/2009 8:26 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Thanks! Yes, I try to dance sailor-like through the entire metropolis that is Bernstein references.

9/02/2009 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home