Friday, August 14, 2009

Re-Reno? No.

For the past three weeks or so I've been putting more emphasis on getting enough sleep at night and doing some household chores every day, which has reduced my workday-afternoon cases of the sleepy-angries and somewhat thinned the layer of bachelor grode coating my entire apartment, but reduced my already half-assed blogging efforts to quarter- to eighth-of-a-cheek levels. But I feel moved to break this near-silence to note a fairly meaningless thing that I read in my daily Internet foraging, namely that Comedy Central has apparently cancelled Reno 911!.

Reno's the kind of show that I ignore for a couple of years and then watch a couple seasons' worth of DVDs of over Netflix -- which in fact I've been doing lately -- but I have a pretty sizeable soft spot for it. It's the sort of show that I can best describe with a slot machine metaphor that I picked up some time ago from a Slate feature on the web cartoon Toothpaste For Dinner -- sometimes when you pull the lever you get a chuckle and sometimes not, which keeps you coming back more than a consistently funny product would.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'll miss it, really -- I have at least two seasons left to watch, plus I think a feature film -- but I can say that I like the show and I'll be surprised if it's replaced by something any more worth watching. And despite the intermittent payoffs from most of their bits I've consistently liked the show's faux-awkward commercial and public service announcement TV spots:

RENO 911!
Reno Sheriff’s Academy
www.comedycentral.com
Joe Lo TruglioFunny Cop Videos

...That and any of the sketches where Patton Oswalt shows up as a D&D player or Renaissance Fair participant.

Also I guess it's as worth noting here as elsewhere that Kerri Kenney-Silver (who plays the most warped and consistently funny character on the show, Trudy Wiegel) was part of an all-female alt-rock band, Cake Like, somewhere in the 1990s, which despite seemingly being maybe three-fourths of the way along the path from fake band to real band put out at least a couple of pretty good songs, by my kind of lax pop music standards.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

I like this show too. The movie, however, is terrible.

8/17/2009 1:12 PM  
Blogger nate said...

Haven't seen the movie but based on the deleted scenes from various seasons' DVD releases I think they'd have needed to film about 800 hours of loose, semi-improvised comedy set pieces to get a feature-length block of material worth watching. As fond as I am of the final TV product, it looks like a lot of film goes into just 22 minutes. Also, you know, plot.

8/18/2009 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home