Friday, May 18, 2012

Coloratura-ing

Here's a totally uncynical blogpost that you should go look at. It's about opera!

It's only from a couple months ago, so new enough, and both videos are definitely worth watching the whole way through, just for comparison's sake. The Rachel Gilmore version of that aria is definitely fantastic.

I think there's an interesting conversation to be had around it, but actually, homeboy over there at that other blog does a really nice job of it, so I think maybe I'll keep my mouth shut for now. (Except to note that Rachel Gilmore also has the advantage of having a high-def recording in which, even through computer speakers, you can hear how she fills the hall. Of course, that does nothing to cancel out the notes she hits up there. Holy crap.)

Go check it out!

1 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Definitely worth looking at! I saw this a month or two ago but I'd forgotten Rachele Gilmore's name — and I just heard live this week, playing Cunegonde in the Portland Opera's Candide, without remembering her as a recent opera-blog sensation. Her "Glitter and be Gay" (with some similarly spirited coloratura fireworks) was unambiguously the high point of an uneven production of an uneven work, and pretty well brought down the house.

5/21/2012 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home