Friday, April 28, 2006

Go You Manticores!

Swarthmore College is holding a vote on whether to adopt a school mascot. This was last attempted sometime during the 90s, I think, with the vote tallying up to a No - the front runner was The Garnet Foxes, which does sound a bit snooty.

Anyway, that was before my time. Now the four choices are: Phoenix, Manticore, Gorilla, and Griffin. I wasn't convinced that any of these would be good mascots, but I cheered up when I saw the alumni vote webpage, with these totally adorable drawings illustrating each option:

Of course, the eventual mascot would look a lot different, but I like to pretend there'd be one of these on every jersey. I voted Phoenix, even though I don't know how you pluralize it. (Phoenixes? Phoenices?)

So that's the fun and whimsy my alma mater is up to. What fun and whimsy is your alma mater up to? Does it involve a six-and-a-half ton robotic military vehicle named "Crusher"?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I was watching a Sox/Rangers game at some point last summer -- this was over the MLB webcast site, and it was the Rangers broadcast -- and the announcers were talking to a group of youngish fans in the stands wearing homemade "Vote for Pedro" t-shirts, in honor of Pedro Astacio. Mostly I was surprised how fluently the play-by-play man could deadpan something about having nunchuck skills.

5/01/2006 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home