Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Astoria Onscreen

The New York Times has an article today about an independent movie about Astoria, or rather about a guy's 1980s young adulthood in Astoria. The article interview takes place on 24th Avenue, part of it in the Bohemian Hall beer garden, a few streets away from where I lived for the last four years, until three months ago.

The movie itself appears to bear little relation to the Astoria of my life, where "the rugged draw of the place" had to do with the pleasant neighborhood environment, good souvlaki, and the aesthetic pleasure of a very attractive train bridge, as opposed to getting mixed up with mafia elements.

But who knows, maybe if I'd had this guy's rougher upbringing, I'd have turned out to be a Santa Monica-dwelling former underwear model too. The world's a funny place.

Here's that train bridge, in a picture I took this spring. More on the 90-year-old Hell Gate Bridge can be read here. (I did not know until now that the "Hell" in "Hell Gate" is from the Dutch for "beautiful." Hell Gate is the part of the East River the bridge crosses.) For my money, this is the most handsome bridge in New York City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home