Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Slime Molds! Robot Orchestras!

Quick mini-omnibus post before bed.

I've recommended Carl Zimmer's evolutionary-bio blog The Loom before, but really don't miss this bit about slime molds. Fascinating stuff about some of the darker corners of Selfish Gene territory. Also, slime molds are just bizarre to read about in general.

Meanwhile, orchestra-consultant/blogger Drew McManus reports on new orchestra-simulating software (using scads of recorded instrument samples) that can actually put together a pretty believable Holberg Suite excerpt. At least until the big tutti sections: to me it looks like this doesn't represent an advance in the technology, just a larger compilation of sounds, still subject to the same limits. You just can't fake complex acoustics, to say nothing of emotions or quirky expressions. I wouldn't want to hear this software try to approximate Petrouchka, much less Rhapsody in Blue.

McManus is the only orchestra-industry-focused blogger I know of, and I don't know anything about him besides his blog. I often sense a faint "I'm Worth Hiring" vibe from his writing, and there's a pronounced sympathy for the musicians' union (versus orchestra management in general) that makes me wonder what dogs he's got in the fight. But, as far as classical music industry wonkery goes, he's the go-to-guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home