Monday, August 21, 2006

Who Wants the Worry, the Noise, the Dirt, the Heat

It's amazing how dirty New York City is, or at least it's amazing how strongly I notice that now. I went back this weekend for the first time in several weeks and it's just dirty, everywhere. I was used to this for four years, for the most part. I guess I always thought that Astoria was relatively dirty.

Mandy & I cleaned out the rest of the apartment on Sunday, and I U-Hauled the rest of my belongings up to New Haven in the evening. I am now reunited with my bed and a small host of used furniture items that look cheaper after my absence from them.

It feels strange that we only lived in that apartment for 21 months and change. (We moved in on Election Day 2004. That kept us, happily, from watching the exit polls.) Mandy just moved into her grad school housing, a big dorm/apartment building at 33rd and 1st adjacent to the NYU hospital. She's got a roommate I didn't get to meet; the place looks basically like a hotel; she's pretty excited about it. Her classes start Monday. It was good to see her again, and naturally I'm really glad we've kept on good terms.

Saturday night I saw most of my ex-coworkers at an office BBQ being held at the assistant-to-the-president's place in Brooklyn. Very nice time, and good to catch up with people I hadn't seen since February. There was a light rain most of the time, but people managed to keep the little grill going for ribs & chicken; later on there was a singalong. Every so often the octogenarian landlady would stick her head out of the window & say hi to everyone.

From what I picked up, things seem pretty frought at the office & I'm not unhappy that I left when I did. The president of the NY office left about two months after I did, and that's straining people even further.

Even later Saturday night I went to the apartment-warming party for my friend Andy (who conducts the wind ensemble I played in) and his girlfriend Lisa, who recently moved in together up near Columbia. I spent the night there & caught up with them, plus Lisa's brother, who I knew at college.

So all in all, a very productive weekend, both socially and practically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home