Sunday, September 10, 2006

Architectural Digest



I was pleasantly surprised today to finally notice the window side of the Yale Art Gallery, which is located on a corner I've been on many times, but somehow without noticing the Gallery.

Before today I'd only looked at the side of the building made up of a mostly blank brick wall, as seen from a little further up the block, and so I'd been nonplussed unimpressed.

But aha! Now I understand why this building is considered a touchstone piece of modern architecture: those are some handsome windows. I do like architecture with clean classical geometry and shiny windows.

The wall, considered in totality with the windows, is itself much more pleasing, its initial blankness reading instead as an appealing sense of reserve.

Obvious lesson: look at all sides of a building before judging its aesthetic merit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home