Monday, November 06, 2006

Get Your Omega 3s Somewhere Else

So, Yeah, I finally have a more officially documented reason for not eating seafood (beyond the obvious desire to maintain the Moral Highground at all costs):

link

Jared Diamond mentioned this problem in his book Collapse; if we continued to treat our fisheries the same way we do our oil wells (and water tables) then, damn, we're gonna run outta fish too.

The American Bourgeois can afford to get their protein and nutrients from non-animal (and therefore more efficient) sources, therefore, the moral imperative is for us all to do so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I claim a temporary Chunk Light Tuna Exemption! I need to eat, and it's the only thing on my shelf tonight.

Yeah, bad news. I don't know how sensitive fish populations are to ocean temperatures, but I'm guessing that global warming is also bad news when combined with that kind of population pressure.

You know what I'd be curious about? Whether swordfish consumption declined meaningfully after it broke into the public consciousness a few summers back that swordfish populations were in steep decline. More to the point, whether consumption declined enough to make a meaningful dent in the population problem.

On a lighter note, the story also informs us that there's a guy who studies fish who's named "Dr. Worm," which is kind of awesome.

11/06/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

That's a pretty brilliant song. Eerily prescient...

"I like to play the drums.
I think I'm getting good,
But I can handle criticism.
I'll show you what I know,
And you should control the amount of seafood in your diet 'cause the stocks are running dangerously low."

11/07/2006 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home