Sunday, December 03, 2006

Link Lending

. . . Extra-miscellaneous for Laundry Day:

1. My favorite example of how Fake News can outstrip Real News is this Onion article from the very beginning of the Iraq invasion. At the time it felt like the smartest bit of commentary about the whole debate. From this vantage point, well, 'nuff said.

2. Greg Sandow has a long post up about the changing demographics of orchestra audiences, pretty interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

3. From Time magazine, an article about people's inability to rationally assess risk. Quick & newsweekly-breezy, and even if it doesn't have a lot of new news in it, I've always thought this topic was interesting.

I'd like to see them back up the figure that people living "near an airport" have a 1 in 10,000 chance of being hit by a plane during their lives. I don't know what they mean by "near," but that sounds unrealistically high to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home