Monday, January 22, 2007

Some Small Span of Time in Review

Kind of quiet and off-radar this past week, mostly occupied with waking up in time for work and pushing through the first season of Battlestar Gallactica on DVD (the ably executed new version on the SciFi channel, as opposed to the venerable-but-apparently-cheesy original series that I've never seen)...

On Saturday morning I went to Theodore Roosevelt Island to take pictures with a group of other Arlington County adult ed photography students. Thus I spent an agreeable hour and a half or so taking shots of frozen mud and otherwise enjoying the park, which is wooded and marshy and scenically placed on the Potomac between north Arlington and D.C. I resolve to go back sometime when the temperature is more decisively above freezing, though it will be more crowded then too...

The NFL postseason so far has made for better watching than usual, I think, with lots of drama if not always solid execution (see Tony Romo). Though I have no love for either of the AFC teams that were still in contention as of this morning, I'm happy enough that the Colts spared us another Patriots title and that Peyton Manning will finally be on TV in February in non-credit card commercial form. Kudos also to the Bears, against whom I think Indy will put up a basketball-like point total...

Due to an inadvisable failure to pack a lunch on Friday, I wound up going with some coworkers to Taco Bell. That would be exactly the second time I've eaten at a Taco Bell (the last time being sometime in I think the fall of 1999) and still not something I'd recommend. I easily understand most fast food menus, if only through years of familiarity, but theirs struck me for several minutes as an unintelligible board full of a la carte food items and made-up Mexican words. It is cheap, though, and you don't forget you ate it right away...

My recent drivetime listening has consisted almost entirely of Sufjan Stevens' Illinois and Arthur Honegger's Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher, both of which are sprawling and sonically adventurous in their own ways. Stevens' work rewards casual listening more since it's more lightly whimsical and doesn't depend on a sense of spectacle that you can only get onstage, though it does lack an Ondes Martenot and a grotesque trial administered by animals...

How's my hyphenation so far? Jack's friendly nitpickery on the matter is making me a lot more self-conscious about it than I usually am...

I still can't believe Jack posted about that Twinkie Pie photo before I did. I feel like I should explain it in full eventually, though the main point is that we made up that recipe off the top of our head as we were writing our email submission to the Hostess website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home