Thursday, January 18, 2007

I Did Not Sign-Up for This

Oh, life's little personality tests. Say the only thing in your mailbox one evening is a junk mail postcard for Lavalife. What side of the postcard do you spend considerably more time looking at?

1. The side with the attractive smiling blonde woman in a revealing evening dress

2. The side with the marketing copy that appears to contain grammatical errors

In my defense, the smiling blonde really wasn't really that attractive, and there were a lot of grammatical errors. Thousands of "local member's profiles," indeed.

It's not really a surprise to me that my first association with the phrase "Sexy like minded singles" is Hey, you need to hyphenate "like-minded." Still, this is an issue that I'd rather my junk mail didn't feel free to raise.

3 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Dude, I'm sexy like a minded single! Hell, I'm sexier than all the minded singles.

Apostrophe issues with plurals came up this week at the Comics Curmudgeon (by now completely indispensable reading for me). He in turn links to a longtime quasi-favorite, Bob the Angry Flower, whose level of grammatical exasperation seems fair.

1/18/2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

"Longtime quasi favorite," Nate, no hyphen. We've been through this.

(I should note that all this doesn't really get under my skin as much as I'm acting like it does. Just so no one thinks I've gone 'round the bend here . . .)

1/20/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger nate said...

Relax, you're not coming across as irritated. More like good-naturedly pedantic.

1/20/2007 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home