Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lively and a Bit Cerebral

Ken Jennings, the Mormon guy who ran up that string of Jeopardy victories a couple of years back, has a blog that turns out to be really entertaining. Already I've learned the truth about lactic acid, for example. And I will refuse to believe you if you tell me that this quality ranking of car names when spelled backwards is not awesome.

Meanwhile, Stu passes along this performance by recently deceased jazz saxophonist Michael Brecker, who I had not heard of until now. Lively and a bit cerebral. Parts of this number sound to me like bizarre riffs on the song Yakkity Yak.

One of my workfriends has the official book of Twinkie recipes, which Hostess evidently released earlier this year. Sadly, the "Banana Java Twinkie Supreme" recipe that Nate submitted to their website with his freshman year college roommate is not included, though you can still find that online with an impressive professional photograph of the result. Disclaimer: do not, for the love of God, make or eat this pie.

My new roommate for the spring semester is here; I can hear him outside my room showing a friend the apartment. His friend just related the sentence "This is like Escher meets Louis Kahn," which I take it means that he's high, or that (more likely) he's talking specifically about the staircase from the landing to the living room, which does have a mod, railingless kind of right angle to it. I think Escher and Kahn would have put their heads together to insulate the windows a bit better, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

I can't believe you beat me to posting about the Twinkie Pie recipe (out of intermittant curiosity about its continued presence or not on the Hostess site I looked it up late Sunday night and noticed the photo for the first time). I did confirm in a local Borders that the recipe's not in the book, which is for the best. I'll try to say something more on the matter before I forget.

1/17/2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I can't believe your recipe has a photo of itself now too. That's crazy!

1/18/2007 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home