Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Miami Livin' (Groceroceries)

Yesterday and today I had my first meetings for my teaching assistantship, so the bubble of abject loafing here in Miami has somewhat burst - I have three books to read by Friday, to prepare myself for my job. Work sucks! But then, I do remind myself that being an online tutor for Freshman English 101 students for 15 hours a week beats the hell out of working at a grocery store for 40. Except that the grocery clerking pays better, and had better health coverage.

Not that I miss the grocery work. Certainly not. Its just that, you know, I haven't had a job since the end of April, so suddenly being told that I have to do something for 15-20 hours a week, and having, like, time slots scheduled wherein I must do something, and be accountable for those things-that-I've-done kinda sucks.

I do miss the particular store where I used to work, from a shopping perspective. I will admit that. For various reasons, not the least of which is that, over the 2.5 years of working for said "Unique Grocery Store," I got very used to consuming a certain range of products. The grocery store down the strip from me here is called Publix, and it is not a unique grocery store. Even worse than missing certain products - most notably Brown Basmati Rice (I actually went so far as to ask an employee for help, I was so bewildered that they didn't sell it) - is seeing what other people, normal, not-unique, people buy.

The other night, for instance, I was in the express check-0ut lane, waiting to buy my 6-or-7 items, when I realized that the guy in front of me had totally ignored the Express thing, and was buying a full cart of shit. Like, shit shit. Everything from Hostess Ho-Hos to frozen Lean Cuisine meals to an 18 pack of Bud Light. I would have almost forgiven him for shirking the rules-of-line-forming, had he been buying, like, produce, or organic anything. But to have to wait for a cheater who is buying shit is just insulting.

I tried to have a conversation with the register jockey about it, but she wasn't interested in talking. They never are. Target sells food, but the place gets more and more depressing everytime I sneak across the highway to buy something. And don't get me started about what the people buy at Target. Damn. I mentioned it to a colleague at this meeting this morning, how depressing Target has become already for me in the three short weeks that I've been here. He said "Yeah, that Target sucks. Now, the Target down by me, it's brand new, it's great to go into."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home