Sunday, August 19, 2007

There's a Cello in Your House Now

Judging by the little bit I'd read about it, and what the story involves, and the tack taken by the poster in the lobby, I expected to enjoy the movie Rocket Science a lot more than I did. Quirky, high-school geek kind of movies are usually right up my alley. But not this one: a couple too many times it walks over the line from "weird" to "uncomfortably weird," a lot of the little comic touches miss the mark, and the plot spends some time wandering around aimlessly.

It's a neat trick to set up an expected plot structure and then subvert it! But then you should probably replace it with another plot structure at least as interesting.

There are some good aspects. I still wouldn't really recommend it.

On the other hand, Hot Fuzz is out on DVD now, and you should immediately move this to the top of your NetFlix queue if you haven't seen it yet. Absolutely hilarious.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

"Hot Fuzz" has been duly moved to the top of my Netflix queue. I await further orders...

8/19/2007 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, same on Rocket Science. Too much of it felt self-consciously quirky, although moments were hilarious and even exhilirating to watch.

Superbad, on the otherhand, is hilarious (if not as good as Knocked Up). And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I highly recommend No End In Sight.

8/27/2007 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home