Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sources of Crime Other Than Beer Consumption

I would generally guess that most of the readers of our dear little blog here read the The New York Times on their own time as well (one of the only things that FIU has going for it is free copies of The New York Times (which is not to say that the Miami Herald doesn't have an abundant amount of great news going for it)), but I thought this article was interesting. And also only one page long! A nice summary of some solid Freakonomics style economics.

Really, this kind of article really fills an important niche in online reporting. It's a short summary of a paper that appeared in some obscure economics journal that I would have never heard about, and doesn't waste my time with any additional pages of ruminations about the paper. I've never claimed to be any good at the internet, but I certainly feel like the NY Times online version needs more single page articles about obscure-yet-accessible papers in obscure-and-inaccessible journals.

Or is that what searching LexisNexis based on random keywords is for?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I agree that it's an important function of the media to digest obscure freakonomic indicators into an understandable narrative. On the other hand, the New York Times and other mainstream papers tend to gloss over the freakonomic data, producing statistics that lack the perspective of a trained freakonometrician. For this reason I get my news from The Freakonomist magazine, which also provides sensible center-right opinions on policy matters related to the global feakonomy.

10/24/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger nate said...

The funny part is pronouncing it "free-KON-o-mist".

10/24/2007 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home