Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lobby Going Going Gone

In what may be the concluding outing to the Cinemas in this recent kick of watching-movies-in-the-theatre that I've been on recently (No Country for Old Men (twice), Juno, There Will Be Blood, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (all of which were awesome (although, perhaps due to its levity, Juno seems somehow a bit less awesome))), I went and saw Cloverfield over the weekend. It was okay. Basically Godzilla meets The Blair Witch Project (only with a single handheld video camera and no pretenses of a we-are-making-a-film in the characters as there was in Blair Witch). I'm still a bit stumped as to whether it was good or not - parts of it were very affective, but other parts seemed too planned or something. It may be that I'm just not well versed in monster/horror/thriller movies, so not sure what exactly was being tweaked in the filmic grammar with the handheld camera treatment. Or maybe it really wasn't that good. Part of me really wants to like it, mostly because I've liked all the other movies that I've seen in the theatres since mid-December, and this let down is... well, a let down.

Not that we're all that careful about blogging about movies we've seen, but it'll probably be a while now, for me, to mention any others. I'll be too busy blogging about my awesome new American flag hat anyway (once Nate mails it to me) to bother blogging about lame-o movies. And I had to watch Juno and There Will Be Blood and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly without my glasses (which were temporarily holed up in an obscure drawer of my parents' china cabinet since Christmas Eve), and it kinda sucks that my welcome-back-glasses movie wasn't, like, totally awesome.

I'm sitting here now, trying to think if I've seen any other monster movies. Does King Kong count? In any of its iterations? What about Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein? I don't think I've ever actually seen any of the Godzilla movies. Hmmm... Anybody out there remember watching any monster movies with me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

I don't remember seeing any monster movies with you, unless you count Jurassic Park; you should track down The Host on DVD, though -- I think you'd like it.

1/27/2008 10:16 PM  
Blogger nate said...

How'd your glasses end up in the china cabinet?

1/27/2008 10:40 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I think the most likely cause was a member of the extended family trying to help clear things out of the way in the dining room and putting stuff in there - I can't imagine any of us nuclears bothering to open a drawer for such a thing.

1/27/2008 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If by extended you mean "old" and if by old you mean "as old as dad" then I agree that it was probably one of the extended family.

1/28/2008 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home