Sunday, January 27, 2008

I've Been In This Town So Long, So Long To The City

I'm sorry about my latest long blog absence, but in a nutshell: I'm moving from fair NoVA to Portland, Oregon so I'm in the process of leaving my current job, finding a new job, and selling off most of the stuff I own. My last day of work for a (hopefully) little while is this upcoming Friday. I'm targeting driving cross-country with whatever possessions fit in my Civic during the week of February 11th. I'm excited about the move; from what I've seen of it Portland is a really likeable city. Pete used it as his own sort of personal sleepaway camp for three months last year and I'm looking forward to following up his list of bar recommendations.

The reason for the move is that my old college chum Kyle lives in the Portland area; she and I have been dating for a little while now, which you can totally learn from our Facebook profiles. The idea is that my being there will allow us to date in a more functional way, as in actually being able to go out on dates regularly.

From here out I'm going to try to share regular updates on my progress here. I doubt I will be able to avoid making Oregon Trail jokes throughout.

Anyway -- I think it will be good. I've been explaining my basic planning approach to people as a two-step process. In the first step, at a remove of a few months, I make some rational decisions about what to do and how to do it. In the second step, I go about implementing that plan. The second step is the one where I freak out. But then I tell myself, "This will be fine; this is what you decided on when you were being rational, so now just do that." So then it works out. I mean, hopefully.

Also, to aid on craigslisting my larger material possessions away and documenting my migration, I just got a nifty little point-and-shoot digital camera. I haven't actually pointed it at anything I can sell yet but a couple items are below. They're the first items going into the box of stuff that I'm going to ditch on the free table at work later this week. Unless anyone reading this wants them or something.



(Clockwise from upper left: Willie Randolph promotional bobblehead doll; super patriotic baseball cap; "Team Up For Success: Building Teams in the Workplace", which came in the orientation packet I got at my first job.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

You should probably send that hat to me.

1/27/2008 6:49 PM  
Blogger nate said...

Only if you promise not to rip out the flag, or the "USA" logo, or the eagle, or the other flag.

1/27/2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I promise!

1/27/2008 9:55 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Careful Nate, you may need that hat later along the trail to barter for extra food or ammunition.

Remember, if you come to a river more than 3 feet deep, you should choose to caulk your Civic and float it.

1/27/2008 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home