Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Vote Late, Vote Once

I was completely exhausted after work, which made me feel extra civic-minded for walking over to the neighborhood polling place this evening. I want to tell my grandkids, like Hey kids! Back in my day, I had to walk a mile and a half just to go vote! In the rain! Okay, maybe it stopped raining around noon, but still! None of you kids know anything about that, what with your "tele-transporter hopping" instead of "walking," and your "Cryo-President Dick Cheney" instead of "free elections." Dagnabbit, the future makes me cranky.

Actually the walk was less than a mile and half, since I ran into one of my coworkers there and she drove me back to my apartment. Like most other young, college-educated male Democrats (I gather from the news) I pulled the lever for Obama, or rather filled out his bubble on the scan-tron kinda form. The form didn't have a write-in spot, thus preventing one from adding "And push Joe Lieberman off the end of a pier"; aside from that I feel that my democratic rights have been well facilitated, though I'm pretty sure the state is supposed to go to Hillary anyway.* (At the moment the NY Times is calling it 48% even, but with only 1% of the precincts reporting, so whatever.) Three cheers for being part of the process, in any case.

*later update. you know what, I actually have no idea how they split up delegates here and how it ties into the actual vote result. but I figure this makes it likelier than usual that my vote "counts." I'm not curious enough to figure it out beyond that, for now; I guess I could be a better citizen after all.

This was the seventh day of my new, improved job at work, which is going as well as I'd want it to. I have to use more of my brain, which is leaving me somewhat exhausted after work (see above) and keeps me from listening to as much obscure 20th-century music on headphones at my desk, though I did find time while editing an index file today to listen through Stravinsky's "Agon." The other highlight was finally obtaining an extension cord so I could move my desk lamp to the other side of my new working space, where I wanted it. So yeah, it's pretty much a nonstop circus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home